Income Requirements for Marriage Green Card: A Step-by-Step Overview

Meeting the marriage green card income requirements (also known as Form I-864, Affidavit of Support) in the United States is crucial for sponsoring your spouse for lawful permanent residency. The income requirements are set by the U.S. government to ensure that the sponsored immigrant does not become a public charge and can be financially supported by the sponsoring spouse. Here are steps to help you meet these requirements:

  • Understand the Minimum Income Requirements: The income requirement is based on your household size and is generally set at 125% of the federal poverty guidelines. You can find the current poverty guidelines on the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services website. The specific income threshold can change annually.
  • Calculate Your Household Size: Your household size includes yourself, your spouse, any children, and any other dependents you have. You may also include the income of certain household members to help meet the requirement.
  • Include Your Income: Your income, as the sponsoring spouse, will be a significant factor in meeting the requirement. Income can include your salary, wages, self-employment income, rental income, dividends, and other sources of income.
  • Consider Assets: If your income alone does not meet the requirement, you can use your assets to supplement your income. Assets can include savings, stocks, real estate, and other valuable assets. Generally, you’ll need assets worth five times the difference between your income and the income requirement.
  • Find a Joint Sponsor: If your income and assets are insufficient, you can ask a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident friend or family member to serve as a joint sponsor. They must meet the income requirements independently and submit a separate Affidavit of Support (Form I-864A).
  • Provide Supporting Documentation: You’ll need to provide documentation to prove your income and assets, such as tax returns, pay stubs, bank statements, and any other relevant financial documents.
  • Comply with the Guidelines: Make sure you meet the income requirements according to the most recent federal poverty guidelines when you file your Affidavit of Support. Failure to meet these requirements can result in a denial of the green card application.
  • Prepare for the Interview: During the green card interview, be ready to provide additional proof of your financial capability if requested by the immigration officer.
  • Seek Legal Advice: If you are unsure about meeting the income requirements, consider consulting with an immigration attorney or accredited representative who can provide guidance and help you navigate the process.

What to do if my petitioner doesn’t meet the minimum income requirements?

If your petitioner (the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse who is sponsoring you for a green card) does not meet the minimum income requirements to qualify as a sponsor on Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, there are several options to consider:

  • Joint Sponsor: One of the most common solutions is to find a joint sponsor who meets the income requirements. A joint sponsor is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident who is willing to take financial responsibility for you. They must be willing to submit their own Form I-864 along with supporting financial documents to demonstrate that they meet the income requirements. The joint sponsor’s income will be used in combination with your petitioner’s income to meet the financial obligations.
  • Use Household Member’s Income: If another household member (e.g., an adult child or a parent) is living with you and they meet the minimum income requirements, their income can be included in the household’s total income. They will need to complete a Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member, and submit the necessary financial documentation.
  • Assets: If neither the petitioner nor any household member meets the income requirements, you can use assets to supplement your income. Assets can include savings, stocks, real estate, and other valuable assets. You’ll generally need assets worth five times the difference between your household income and the income requirement. You will still need to submit an Affidavit of Support (Form I-864) along with supporting documents to prove the value of your assets.
  • Multiple Joint Sponsors: In some cases, it may be possible to have multiple joint sponsors, each of whom meets the income requirements. This can help cover the income gap if a single joint sponsor’s income is insufficient.
  • Seek Legal Assistance: Consult with an immigration attorney or accredited representative who can review your specific situation and advise you on the best course of action. They can help you navigate the process and ensure that you are in compliance with immigration laws.

Form I-864 checklist of required documents

Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, is a critical document in the U.S. immigration process for family-based green card applicants. When completing this form, you’ll need to provide supporting documentation to demonstrate your financial ability to support the intending immigrant. Here is a checklist of the required documents typically needed to accompany Form I-864:

  • Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support): Fill out the form completely and accurately, and make sure to sign it.
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency of the Sponsor:
    • U.S. birth certificate or a copy of the biographic page of your U.S. passport (for U.S. citizens).
    • Copy of your green card or proof of your lawful permanent residency (for permanent residents).
  • Proof of Income:
    • Copies of your most recent federal income tax returns (typically the last three years). If you were not required to file taxes, provide a statement explaining why.
    • W-2 forms and 1099s for the most recent tax year.
    • Employment letter or pay stubs showing your current job and income.
    • If self-employed, copies of your business tax returns, profit and loss statements, and other relevant financial documents.
    • If you have additional sources of income (e.g., rental income, dividends, interest), provide documentation for those sources.
  • Proof of Assets (if using assets to meet the income requirement):
    • Bank statements, investment account statements, and other documents showing the value of your assets.
    • Appraisals or other evidence of the value of real estate or other valuable assets.
  • Proof of Current Employment (if applicable):
    • A letter from your employer stating your job position, salary, and employment status.
  • If Using Income from Household Members:
    • Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member, completed and signed by the household member providing income.
    • Proof of the household member’s status as a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.
    • The household member’s tax returns, W-2s, and other income-related documents.
  • Supporting Documents for Dependents:
    • If you are sponsoring dependents (spouse, children), provide proof of their relationship to you (e.g., marriage certificate, birth certificates).
    • Proof of their immigration status (if applicable).
  • Affidavit of Support Fee Payment (if applicable): there is a fee for filing Form I-864. Check the USCIS website or current instructions for the latest fee information.
  • Optional Cover Letter: A cover letter summarizing the documents you are submitting can be helpful for USCIS officers reviewing your application.
  • Translations (if documents are not in English): If any of your documents are in a language other than English, include certified translations.

Also Read: Where to Travel For a Family Gathering

Leave comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *.